Wednesday, February 22

How To: Make Your Own Sugar Scrub

Every winter, around this time of year, my skin gets super dry and itchy. Over the years, I've found that the only thing that can cure the dry, lizard skin you get during a New England winter is a really good exfoliating scrub. But since sugar scrubs can be expensive and are often loaded with chemicals (yuck!), this year I decided to make my own. Making a homemade sugar scrub was cheap, easy, and left my skin super soft and silky.

Here's how you can make your own!

1. Get a jar. I used an 8 oz. mason jar because I had it on hand, but a smaller one would work too.


 2. Fill the jar halfway with brown sugar.

3. Fill the jar the rest of the way with white sugar.

4. Use a spoon to stir the sugars together. 

4. Pour in olive oil until it saturates half the sugar mix. I poured a little in, then added it slowly tablespoon by tablespoon. If you want a wetter sugar scrub, add more olive oil. You can really control the olive oil to make it whatever consistency you like. And while I used olive oil, I'm dying to try this with coconut oil. It's great for your skin and I think it might make the whole thing smell even better.

5. Add a teaspoon or two of vanilla or almond extract.

6. Use a spoon to mix it all together.

7. Tie a cute bow on your jar, and glue a label like this one to the top.



 8. Tear off your clothes and take a long shower with your new sugar scrub!

I love, love, love my homemade sugar scrub. I can't imagine buying sugar scrub again. They also make great gifts!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...