Friday, January 4

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year!

2012 absolutely flew by! I really can't believe it has come and gone.

Looking back, if I had to describe 2012 in three words, they would be: the unknown, change, progress. We started out the year not knowing where we would finish it, not knowing which PhD program Brett would get into and where we would live for the next 5-6 years. I didn't know what kind of job I would have, or even if I would have a job at all. Once we made the decision to move to Atlanta, we spent countless hours apartment and job searching and coordinating logistics of a big move. We left the town and school where we met and said lots of tearful goodbyes to good friends. We set off on the Blue Ridge Parkway and spent days winding through mountains without knowing exactly what the future held. Brett started a new program. I started a new job (and in some ways, a new career). We got a new puppy. And we got engaged.

It was a whirlwind of a year full of big changes. In many ways, I think I'm only beginning to stop reeling from all of them. And while it was definitely difficult, at times, to deal with so much change, it was also a great year! I got a job within two weeks of moving, which is something I'm so grateful for in this economic climate. I'm not entirely sure development is the career for me, but I'm learning so much and working with great people for a great organization. We found a gorgeous apartment. Our little puppy has brought us more joy, laughter, and cuddles than we ever thought possible. And Brett and I really grew as a couple. Somewhere along the way, we became this much stronger team and learned to work even better together.

I'm grateful for the holidays and the new year, because it gave me some time to reflect on just how big of a year 2012 was for me - and for Brett and I. It also gave me some time to stop looking backward and just spinning to keep up; to pause and look forward. And when I did, I realized that 2013 can be an absolutely fantastic year if I try and make it one. I want to use my time intentionally this year to grow as a person, to advance in my career, to pursue the things I'm passionate about, to think about what it is exactly I'm passionate about and want to spend my life doing, to get more organized, to write more, to volunteer more, and to read more. Not a small list, I know. But I want to make sure that as we settle into life here in the south that I'm really taking advantage of my talents and gifts, giving back to the world, and creating a foundation for the life that I've always dreamed of living. I want to let go of self-doubt and fear of failure and really pursue my goals. I need to start going after the ambitions that I guard closely deep down inside - ambitions that are too scary even to write down as new year's resolutions. I don't just want to get through this next year, spinning faster and faster until another year is over. I yearn to flourish.

So here is to a new year! Let's spend it being the very best version of ourselves and making the world a better place for women.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...