Thursday, May 17

Make This Tonight!

I've been MIA this week because of a project at work and stress preparations for our upcoming move. But last night for dinner, Brett and I made a salad that was so delicious, I just had to share. And tell you all to make it immediately.

Since Christmas, Brett and I have been vegetarian (more about why we did this and why I think vegetarianism is a feminist issue coming soon). The switch hasn't been hard at all, but Brett and I have both been getting a little bored of our go-to meals. Brett also fears that he isn't getting enough protein and fats, and I fear I'm getting too many fats and that Brett is getting all of his protein and fats from foods that will slowly kill him.

So last night I turned to the happiest, most magical place on the internet, Pinterest, for some recipe ideas. I stumbled upon this Lemon, Quinoa, Cilantro, and Chickpea salad that looked delicious and healthy. We didn't have a few of the items it called for on hand, so we adapted it. And now it is one of my favorite things ever.


                                                                             Source: thediva-dish.com via Shannon on Pinterest

Here's how to make our version (but check out the original too!):

Ingredients
For the salad
1/2 cup dry quinoa
1 can garbanzo beans, drained
3 tomatoes, chopped into bite-sized bits
2 avocados, diced
1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic
salt
1-2 tblsp. of lime juice
cumin to taste

For the dressing 
3 tblsp. lime juice
1 tsp. mustard
3 tsp. olive oil
1 tsp. agave nectar
1/2 tsp. cumin
dash of salt and pepper

Directions

1. Make your quinoa. I just follow the directions on the box. Make sure it cools before using in the salad. Then pour it into a big salad bowl.
2. Chop your onion, garlic, tomatoes, and avocado. Throw them in with the quinoa.
3. Open your can of garbanzo beans, throw them in with the quinoa.
4. Make your dressing by whisking all the ingredients together.  Pour over salad.
5. Mix until well combined.
6. Add more lime juice to taste. I added 1-2 tblsp. and a dash or two of cumin. You want to use just enough that it complements the other, natural flavors without the lime or cumin taking center stage.
7. Chill for 15 minutes in the fridge.
8. Enjoy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...